Shoutcast: Create a Personal Radio Station
Enjoy this quick guide to making your own Radio Station using your downloaded mp3s. Requirements include Winamp, a minimum connection of 256/64 kbps (will work with dialup connections, but will not be able to handle more than 2-6 listeners at a time), & an active, steady IP.
- Download Shoutcast files from their official website at http://www.shoutcast.com.
- Upon download of these file, install both Shoutcast files.
- After a successful installation go to: Start > Program Files > Shoutcast DNAS > EDIT SHOUTCAST DNS CONFIG
- Configure Shoutcast by scrolling down to the password: change option. Be sure to change your password before continuing configuration.
- Find The Portbase and change it to the port of choice.
- Find Maxusers and change it to the number of choice. This should be based on your bandwidth: 1,000 users might be an unrealistic choice for a DSL connection. On a cable connection 75 users runs smoothly.
- After completing the last three steps select EDIT > SAVE.
- Open Winamp and right click on OPTIONS. Proceed to OPTIONS > PREFRENCES > DSP EFFECT > NULLSOFT SHOUTCAST.
- Next, under Winamp, find the OUTPUT selection; click on CONNECTION > THROUGH THE ADDRESS - enter the address of your domain; this is obtainable via http://www.no-ip.com if unknown.
- Configure the port number to the port earlier entered into The Portbase.
- Find the ENCODER and choose the music to play on the radio.
- Return back to OUTPUT > OUTPUT CONFIG > YELLOW PAGES. The Yellow Pages displays advertisemant information for the radio.
- Click CONNECT. If done properly, the radio station should be online.
- The radio may be verified by simply going to the address earlier added in the preference.